- CSI Parish (Malayalam) Dubai
CSI Parish (Malayalam) Dubai
- At the start of the 20th Century, several people from the Subcontinent started moving to the Gulf countries in search of livelihood. The emirate of Dubai was on the threshold of development, offering immense opportunities and challenges through its transformation process.
- In the year 1974, six CSI members from Central Travancore who were part of prayer fellowship in Dubai, started active discussions on worshipping in the CSI Order. Accordingly, Late Mr. John Michael Kottayam, Late Mr. Ninan John Kodukulanji, Late Mr. K. K. Abraham Punnackadu, Mr. Chacko Itty Kollakadavu, Mr. Koshy Varghese Punnackadu and Mr. Mathew Varghese Punnackadu founded the CSI Parish Dubai on 12th January 1975 and started meeting regularly at the Womens Society Hall in Deira on every Sunday.
- Later they formed a Choir Group under the guidance of Mr. J. E. Mathew for the benefit of the worshipping community and eventually emerged as one of the best Choirs in the Gulf region.
- On 2nd March 1975, with the approval of Late Rt. Rev. T. S. Joseph (Bishop of the CSI Madhya Kerala Diocese), a holy communion service for the CSI Parish Dubai members was conducted at the Holy Trinity Church in Oud Metha by Late Philip Sturdy (Vicar of the Holy Trinity Church, Oud Metha).
- On 13th April 1975, as directed by the Late Rt. Rev. T. S. Joseph (Bishop of the CSI Madhya Kerala Diocese), Late Rev. V . E. Mathai (Vicar of CSI Parish Kuwait) conducted the Holy Communion Service followed by the formal inauguration of the CSI Parish Dubai, becoming the first CSI Parish in UAE.
- In 1978, Late Very Rev. M. T. Tharian was appointed as the first Vicar of the CSI Parish Dubai. From a small gathering of 32 members at that time, the parish has grown to be one of the biggest Malayalam congregations in the Middle East in a span of over 45 years. As a mother parish, CSI Parish Dubai has been the torchbearer in starting worship services in different parts of the United Arab Emirates, viz. Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, Sharjah and Jebel Ali.
- The congregation was able to build a Church in Fujairah in 2017, with the kind help of the rulers of the country who kindly provided the land for the Church.
- From its inception in 1975, the CSI Parish Dubai has been led under the vision and guidance of fourteen Vicars appointed by the CSI Madhya Kerala Diocese from time to time.
- Currently, regular Worship services are conducted on Sundays at the Holy Trinity Church, Oud Metha and at our Church in Fujairah.
- The congregation is grateful to the Rulers of the United Arab Emirates , who continues to give us permission to worship as a community in this land.
CSI Parish (Malayalam), Dubai.
Website : https://www.csidubai.com/